0
1


More than two decades after her son was executed for rape and murder, Zhang Huanzhi has finally proven his innocence.
China’s top court overturned Nie Shubin’s conviction Friday, in a landmark case that exposed deep flaws in China’s criminal justice system.
“I wanted to tell my son: you’re a good person, you’re innocent,” Zhang told CNN.
Amid emotional scenes in the courtroom, judges ruled that Nie’s original trial didn’t “obtain enough objective evidence,” saying there were serious doubts about the time of death, murder weapon and cause of death.
“The moment the justice announced the verdict, Zhang burst into tears,” lawyer Li Shuting said. “Not only her, other people in the courtroom felt emotional too. I almost stood up and applauded but I didn’t, I had to comfort Zhang as she was crying so hard.”
Read More: cnn

Post a Comment

 
Top