0

Four ex-footballers have come forward to tell of the sexual abuse they suffered as children at the hands of coach Barry Bennell.
Chris Unsworth and Jason Dunford gave their first interviews since waiving their right to anonymity to today's BBC Victoria Derbyshire programme.
Former players Steve Walters and Andy Woodward had earlier spoken of the abuse.
Bennell, 62, has served three jail sentences for child sex offences.
The men, all now in their 40s, say the abuse had a "catastrophic" impact on their lives but agree that going public would encourage more victims to come forward.
They fear there could be many more people who were abused by Bennell, who was youth coach at Manchester City and Crewe Alexandra during the 1980s and 90s.
A hotline set up by the NSPCC - 0800 023 2642 - received more than 50 calls within its first two hours on Thursday. The children's charity said it expects "many more" ex-players to follow.
Here is what the ex-footballers said.


Chris Unsworth, 44, says he had not spoken to anyone about the abuse he suffered until now.
"I kept it locked away right in the back of my head, but I am still reliving it," he said on Friday.
"But watching Andy [Woodward] on TV brought it home."
The former Manchester City youth player said Bennell's abuse began at the age of nine.
"It started in the car, he used to touch, play games on the way to training."
It later got "more serious" during sleepovers at Bennell's house, "where there was penetration", he said.
He said despite being "raped between 50 and 100 times" no one ever spoke about it.
Mr Unsworth moved to Crewe with Bennell at the age of 12 when he says he began to lose interest.
"Your body changes and that's when your time is up - he moves onto fresh blood."
Mr Unsworth, a funeral director, later became a golfer after leaving football at 16.
"I turned away from football, I'd had enough," he said.

Jason Dunford, who also spoke publicly for the first time on Friday, said Bennell tried to abuse him at a Butlins holiday camp.
"I told him to get off me. I remember physically hitting him," he said. "After that he detached me from the group, saying he'd drop me."
A period of "isolation" and "mind games" followed, where Mr Dunford was prevented from playing and accused of stealing money.
"I had a dream of being a footballer," he said. "I should be able to achieve it without having to go through sexual abuse."

Andy Woodward, 43, was the first player to go public last week about being abused by Bennell.
He wept as the three fellow players shared their stories on Friday.
"Last week I was here on my own and was so scared," he said. "But now these three are here."
He said he was "totally overwhelmed" with the support.
He previously told the BBC's Victoria Derbyshire programme on 17 November about the "catastrophic" impact of abuse on his life.
On Crewe Alexandra's youth team, he was sexually abused by Bennell between the ages of 11 and 15.
Mr Woodward retired from football in 2002, aged 29, after suffering from panic attacks.
"I thought I've got to come forward and help everybody," he said. "I kept it locked away in the back of my head."

Steve Walters broke three decades of silence to reveal "absolutely petrifying" abuse in an interview with the Guardian this week.
He said on Friday he had been motivated by Mr Woodward's revelations.
"I thought I was going to have a panic attack as it was virtually the same scenario," he said.
Ex-Crewe player Mr Walters, 44, said the abuse began at the age of 12, when he would stay at Bennell's house in in the town during the school holidays.
Speaking on Friday, he described Bennell's charisma and coaching skills.
"He'd teach you these tricks and flicks," he said. "But it was all just grooming wasn't it."
One of England's most promising young players, Mr Walters was diagnosed with blood disorder at the age of 17 and continued to play at a lower level.
"I had problems with relationships because I've always thought 'am I gay?'" he said. "What's happened to us has made us feel like that, it's not right."
He said he wants "justice now" but that there is "still a bravado in football that needs to be sorted out."

BBC



Post a Comment

 
Top